Energy and Water Reporting – How does your building stack up?

Did you know?


If you own a building that is 250,000 square feet or larger, you may need to report its energy and water use once a year. The first deadline to submit your report is July 1, 2018.

In the coming years, this requirement will be phased in to include more buildings, eventually reaching those 50,000 square feet and larger.

Ontario Regulation 20/17, Reporting of Energy Consumption and Water Use, outlines what building owners and utilities must do to comply with Ontario’s Large Building Energy and Water Reporting and Benchmarking (EWRB) initiative.

Building owners of commercial, industrial, multi-unit residential and other building types that are 50,000 square feet or larger are required to report their building’s energy and water consumption, and greenhouse gas emission data annually to the Ministry of Energy.


How and what to report


To see the types of buildings that are subject to the reporting requirements, and the data building owners will need to report, visit

If you have questions about the EWRB initiative, please call 1-844-274-0689 or email

Reporting will be phased in as outlined in the schedule below.